Friday, June 14, 2013

Day Seven - Who Needs Provera?

Woo-hoo, one week in! I woke up this morning half asleep thinking about how good donuts would be. Once I actually woke up I quickly made a big breakfast to curb those thoughts right away.

Anyway, on to the topic of today's post. Also if you don't like reading about periods, this probably isn't the blog for you (go look at cats instead).

PCOS causes irregular periods. Our bodies need to menstruate to shed the uterus lining and prepare for ovulation and implantation. So every now and then our bodies need a jumpstart to induce menstruation.

Doctors oftentimes prescribe Provera to start a woman's period. It is a hormone that makes you bleed when you stop, from the withdrawal of the progestin. It's generally considered safe, but I've had terrible side effects from it. Took it for five days with non stop nausea. I started thinking there has to be a better way.

A little research revealed the Chinese herb Dong Quai (Angelica sinensis). It is used for many female troubles, especially for increased circulation to the reproductive organs. It strengthens and tones the uterus and can induce menstruation. I was overjoyed to find it at the Vitamin Shoppe. I took it for two days and started bleeding right away. Not just bleeding, Niagara freaking Falls, horrible cramps for six long days. I had not had a period that heavy in years.

After that I had a couple anovulatory cycles with typical anovulatory spotting around the time my period is due. This month the spotting had been weird and light and I decided that it was time for another round of Dong Quai.

I do not have it listed in the supplements I use because I don't use it daily. Also, it can be dangerous. If you have heavy bleeding, you shouldn't take it as you could actually lose too much blood. Also, if you're late for your period and think you need to take it, make 100% sure without a doubt you are not pregnant. The increased blood flow to the uterus can induce a miscarriage. I waited until day 35 of my cycle and took a couple pregnancy tests just to confidently rule it out. Also, once you start bleeding you should stop taking it so that you don't end up with too much bleeding. I relied heavily on Natural Fertility Info for most of my information, check it out to learn more.

Anyway, all that to say I've been taking it the past couple of days and the random spotting is starting to finally become more of a flow. I used to dread periods, now it's nice to finally have one and soon I'll be able to see if I will actually ovulate this cycle.

Today's Foods
10:00am - sausage, eggs, whole wheat bagel with butter and cream cheese. coffee with cinnamon

No comments:

Post a Comment