Friday, June 7, 2013

What This is All About

According to Wikipedia,
"Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is one of the most common female endocrine disorders. PCOS is a complex, heterogeneous disorder of uncertain, but there is strong evidence that it can to a large degree be classified as a genetic disease. PCOS produces symptoms in approximately 5% to 10% of women of reproductive age (12–45 years old). It is thought to be one of the leading causes of female subfertility and the most frequent endocrine problem in women of reproductive age. The principal features are anovulation, resulting in irregular menstruation amenorrhea, ovulation-related infertility, and polycystic ovaries; excessive amounts or effects of androgenic (masculinizing) hormones, resulting in acne and hirsutism; and insulin resistance, often associated with obesity, Type 2 diabetes, and high cholesterol levels." 

 After suffering with irregular menstrual cycles since puberty (I say suffering, but as a teenage I didn't find only getting 8-9 periods a year something to complain about!) I went to see a gynecologist soon after I was married. I had stopped having periods altogether, just irregular spotting. Alex and I were using no contraceptives, very happy with the idea of having children early. The September after our wedding, I finally had a positive pregnancy test! I was concerned, however, because I had begun spotting again, and went to the doctor right away. Blood tests showed little presence of HcG (the chemical that pregnancy tests detect). I was told there it was likely I had a chemical pregnancy, which is when the egg implants to the uterus but the body immediately rejects it, like a very early miscarriage.

I was devastated, but encouraged because the doctor seemed to think that birth control pills to re-regulate my cycles would fix everything. Ignorant and elated, I started right away. I did gain some control over my cycles - very predictable 28 day cycles. A couple days after my visit, the nurse-practitioner called me with the results of some more extensive blood tests they ran. I had elevated levels of prolactin, which seemed to indicate PCOS. The doctor and I have briefly discussed PCOS during our visit but he didn't seem to think it was a real possibility.

At my second visit, we discussed what the nurse practitioner had said about my prolactin. We discussed some other symptoms of PCOS and he didn't seem to think any of them applied to me. He prescribed birth control pills to regulate my cycle and basically said see you next year for your next annual.I took the birth control, had perfect cycles when I was on it but the day I went off I had non stop spotting for two months. Soon after we moved to Tennessee, I began to see a new doctor. This doctor was a bit more helpful, explaining that she thinks I am not ovulating. She prescribed Provera to start a period and Clomid to induce ovulation. She instructed me to chart my basal body temperature. However, I still failed to ovulated with Clomid.

Now, here I am at the end of another anovulatory cycle. I'm tired and depressed. And ready for a change.

I've read plenty of material of the relation of PCOS and blood sugar and have seen a lot of success from people who follow a low-glycemic diet. I feel that this is a route I should choose. I need to change my diet drastically and begin exercising. Both will be a challenge, as I am mildly hypoglycemic and as soon as 2 hours after eating my blood sugar drops and I immediately crave sugar. I have to combat that with high protein and fiber snacks regularly. Exercise will be a challenge because I work so much and when I get home I am tired and achy. Hopefully exercise will actually combat that and give me more energy.

The Rules of My Low-Glycemic Diet

Basically, all a low-glycemic diet does is focus on the way foods interact with your blood sugar. You want to eat food that doesn't cause a large spike and fall in the blood sugar.

These are rules I'm going to follow now, they may be modified in the future as I monitor how my body is responding:

No white flour or white sugar. 
     This is going to be a huge challenge. Since I work at Starbucks almost everything I drink there has some of processed sugar. However, I know I am not healthy and drastic changes are in order.

Never eat carbohydrates alone.
        Eating carbohydrates with proteins and fiber helps to slow down it's effect on the bloodsugar, regulating the spike and fall.

Snack often.
      In order to combat low blood sugar and the subsequent carbohydrate cravings, I need to snack once every 1 - 2 hours. Almonds, vegetables, boiled eggs, etc are great examples of low glycemic snacks.

Avoid hormones
     Since hormone irregularity is a big factor is PCOS, avoiding synthetic hormones in food is important. We can't afford to buy everything organic, unfortunately, but what we can we buy. We make a lot of things from scratch at home, something I would like to continue.

Anyway, this has been a long post. Tomorrow I will begin updating with a food and exercise diary and a list of the supplements and vitamins I am taking. I will continue with observations of how my body seems to respond to the changes. I hope that someday this experiment helps someone else suffering from PCOS and wanting a natural, healthy remedy.
     


No comments:

Post a Comment