Monday, January 20, 2014

"Applesauce" Smoothie!

I understand that this blog seems to be more about healthy eating than PCOS, but I fully believe that a change in eating is the foundation for overcoming PCOS. So while I work through embracing health in all aspects of life please take part in how I am transforming my body though nutrition!

One of my favorite new things to do has been to make smoothies! I've always liked smoothies but have always gone for a milkshake or sweet "coffee" drink instead. But now I not only like smoothies but I LOVE them!

I've been experimenting with several different fruit combinations (haven't been brave enough to mix in veggies yet, but I'm going to!) and this has become one of my favorites!

In a blender, add (we use all-organics, just fyi):

1/4 cup milk (use cow, soy, almond whatever you prefer)
1 chopped kiwi
1 chopped banana
1 chopped apple (cored, but leave the skin on!)
1/2 cup ice

and blend until smooth! We have a cheap blender so I usually have to use a spoon to get it going.

This was my first time making this smoothie and it tastes like drinking applesauce! I also love doing banana and pineapple.

In other news, I've lost about 7 pounds so far. I've also been regularly doing yoga and I feel great. Far more energetic, less sluggish and foggy, and the yoga has been getting easier so I know I'm getting stronger.

For those who are curious, this is a sample of what a normal day's eating consists of:

Breakfast:
2 eggs (scrambled, fried or hard-boiled, sometimes mixed with veggies)
Fruit
Water and coffee (either black or with a homemade coffee creamer)
I also make oatmeal often with honey, almonds and fruit

This keeps me full during my morning at work (I usually work early shifts from 6a-12p).

At work:
Sometimes I bring almonds or a Lara bar. Occasionally I cheat a little and make a soy coffee frappuccino at work (consisting of coffee, organic soy milk, ice and Starbucks coffee base which admittedly contains some refined sugar). I find this small compromise keeps me from craving the milky, sugary drinks I used to drink daily.

Lunch:
Once I'm home from work I'm not usually very hungry. If I haven't already had eggs I'll make a hard-boiled egg. Otherwise I make a small salad, snack on some almonds, fruit, veggies or chips and salsa. Just something small based on how hungry I am.

Late afternoon:
This is usually when I'm feeling hungry for a meal. I eat an early dinner. For example, today I had:
Homemade black bean burger on organic whole-wheat bun
Homemade sweet potato fries
I pack up some leftovers for Alex to take for "lunch" at work that night (he works third shift)

Evening:
I'm again just feeling slightly hungry and I often make my smoothies this time of day!

I take my supplements during the day with my meals. I also drink mainly water during the day, although I will sometimes have more coffee. I usually do yoga right after work but I'm thinking about getting up a little earlier to do it before to help manage stress at work (stress management is huge factor in PCOS).

No comments:

Post a Comment