Saturday, January 11, 2014

brownie recipe and small update

Being the weekend and tonight being our one meat meal of the week I decided to look up how to make brownies with no sugar or other processed ingredients. I paged through several recipes and came up with one on my own using honey and whole wheat flour:


1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup cocoa powder (I had organic from Trader Joe's)
2/3 cup honey  (local!)
2 eggs (I used organic)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (Bob's Red Mill)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Melt butter in a heat proof bowl and add the cocoa. Mix well, then beat in honey and eggs. Stir in flour and baking powder, add vanilla. Make sure it is well mixed. Pour in a greased 8x8 pan, bake for 30 minutes. 

They turned out great. Definitely tasted like honey, so if you're not used honey you may find that a bit odd. But they were sweet enough and chocolately and a great treat. 

I'm not sure about Alex, but I am 2 pounds down this week and as far and health goes, I am feeling great. I'm sure the weight loss can be attributed to not having the 1000+ calories/day I usually drink while working at Starbucks. I had actually made a small batch of cookies for Alex to take to the guys at work (and use up the little bit of white sugar I still had) and tried one and it made me feel sick to my stomach! So I feel like my body is very well adjusting to healthy, whole foods. 

What will this do for my PCOS? It will take time for my body heal and for hormones to normalized. Pure weight loss alone will help with the estrogen dominance (as estrogen is stored in fat cells). I expect it to be a few months before I see a regular menstrual cycle and ovulation, so I will continue to push forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment