Thursday, September 4, 2014

Hey everyone, sorry about the radio silence here.

I finally got an "official" PCOS diagnosis this summer which has caused me to renew my efforts to reclaim my endocrine health.

After some prodding from several people I know, I finally looked into the Trim Healthy Mama plan. I shirked away from this plan for a long time because the word "Mama" seemed to be a bitter reminder of what I have not. However, I've tried to mature past that and have since reaped the rewards of this life-changing plan.

I'm not going to go into all the specifics of the plan here (there are plenty of other resources where you could find more details) but simply put: it's low-glycemic, carb-conscious (basically low-carb but healthy carbs play a huge role) and the only major change I've made was one I knew I needed to anyway which is cutting out regular sugar (I've been using Sweet Blend from the THM website which is a blend of stevia and erythritol, similar to Truvia but from organic stevia and non-GMO erythritol - both natural sweeteners). The best thing about this plan has been the simplicity. I don't have to think about it - I can make a few tweaks on our favorite recipes to make them plan-friendly. If you're really interested, BUY THE BOOK! It's chock full of research, recipes, information on hormones and supplements.

So, that being said - this morning I've had a major weight loss breakthrough. I've never lost weight this effortlessly. I'm only exercising as much as I want; some yoga a couple times a week, a little walking, but I have lost about 20 pounds in the past two months (bringing me to a total of 35 pounds lost this year). I haven't weighed under 200 pounds since before I met Alex....

Until today. I almost cried when I saw the number on the scale.

The weight-loss has definitely had a positive impact on my hormonal health. Last month I've had my first non-Clomid induced ovulation in years. I'm hoping to see that again this cycle. I firmly believe that sugar and carbs in general feed PCOS and even though it may seem impossible, cutting unhealthy carbs is crucial to natural management of PCOS.

Anyway, I hope to actually be able to update this page, and even if one person facing similar struggles as me sees it and is encouraged, I've done my job.

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment